Most of us don't have a choice when it comes to working long hours -- and more and more, those hours involve lots of sitting, with very few breaks for activity. Here, Nutrisystem offers five tips to make your workday more compatible with an active and healthy lifestyle.
1. Take a walk. Sitting in front of a computer all day isn’t likely to get your heart rate up. During lunch, go for a brisk walk. Nothing fancy – 10 minutes is enough. And instead of riding the elevator up to your office, taking the stairs instead will help you burn some extra calories.
2. Pack your lunch. That way, you’ll have complete control over your calorie intake, portion size and you can plan healthy options for your lunch the night before. And bonus – you might even save a few bucks! It’s also a good idea to pack a few healthy snacks to help keep you away from the office vending machine.
3. Drink responsibly. Steer clear of sodas and sugary drinks. They're very tempting, and may help you stay charged up while working, but they are most often filled with empty calories in the form of sugar. If you still need the caffeine, consider coffee or tea in moderation, but watch those sugar packets!
4. Exercise in the workplace. There are plenty of sites online that offer ideas for exercising in the workplace. You might even consider a small set of weights. There are also free programs for computers that alert you when it is time to stretch or take a break, and offer you exercise options.
5. Find a workplace workout buddy. Find a coworker who’s also interested in working out and eating healthy. Having someone to help motivate you and keep you in check makes sticking to a diet and fitness plan even easier. And if you plan to hit the gym after work, always keep your workout clothes in the car. Who knows? You might even find time for a quick midday jog around your office park!
For more information, visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/1/prweb10261803.htm