Extra lighting is a huge deterrent for break-ins, but where do you begin? Here, security experts AlarmSystemReport offer you the top six things to think about when installing a lighting system for home security.
1. When planning outdoor security lighting, safety is a top priority, but design can also be a consideration. It’s possible to plan a lighting design that serves to accent your home, while also providing safety and security at the same time.
2. Install lighting at all entry doors. It’s a good rule of thumb to use a light fixture or lighting solution with two bulbs, because you’ll get a greater area of light, and you’ll have some light if one of the bulbs burns out.
3. For security lighting that is installed under windows, choose a low wattage bulb. A low wattage bulb under windows will allow you to see any activity going on outside, from inside your house. To illuminate windows, install lighting under windows from the ground up, shining through any shrubs and bushes that may be around the window.
4. Add lights along driveways and walkways in your outdoor space. This is a great way to deter burglars and make pathways safer, but it’s also a good place to express creativity with your lighting design. Options for lighting pathways and driveways can typically be more decorative, in addition to functional. Pathway and driveway lights can be posts, lanterns, or even small lights that line the walkway from the ground.
5. When installing security lights under the eaves of your home, point them in a downward direction from the eaves and towards the corner of your house. This will allow for your lighting to cover both sides of your home. If you point security lighting away from your home, it leaves an unlit area, making it vulnerable to intruders.
6. When installing security lights, ensure that you are placing them in areas that are out of arm’s reach, because this will make it more difficult for the lights to be disrupted or destroyed by a criminal.
For more information, visit http://www.prweb.com/releases/alarm-system-tips/lighting-home-security/prweb10221925.htm
Tips on your lifestyle, your car, your home, your pets, and all of those other everyday tasks -- these tips are here to make your life easier!