There are 7 billion people on this planet. That’s a lot of voices. And all are unique. Some may sound similar but they are ALL different.
In the case of professional voice over talent you are dealing with individuals who treat their voices as instruments. When they perform at the top of their game they can make the difference between having your message or story conveyed successfully or having it fall flat and slip through the cracks of obscurity.
When seeking out the right voice over talent for your project there are numerous factors to consider before you even think about a specific type of voice:
• You need to know how quickly you can get your project recorded.
• What type of budget are you dealing with - and will it align with the chosen talent’s rate sheet?
• Will he/she be available to do revisions after the initial session?
• Are they easy to work with?
• Can they take direction well?
You then have to consider the next obvious decision – What kind of voice will you use to tell your story?
• Male or female talent?
• Youthful-sounding or older in tone?
• A deep, booming voice of authority - or a calm, conversational approach?
You want a professional that can deliver variety and showcases a solid range. Perhaps your project takes the viewer/listener through various emotional peaks & valleys. You'll require a voice talent that can nimbly transition with those directional shifts and provide the options you'll need to consider.
You might find that your approved script has last-minute changes that alters the whole vibe of the story. Or that the entire direction takes a dramatic change in narrative requirements – from soft, subtle & unassuming to confident, emphatic & impassioned. Will your talent be able to smoothly shift gears on the spot? Don’t get saddled with a 1-trick-pony!