When looking for an apartment or house to rent, keep in mind the following:
1. Does it have a washer/dryer? If not, where is the closest place and how much does it cost? This is part of your rent budget.
2. Ask about mold testing and what precautions they do to prevent it and will they pay to have it tested if you think there is mold.
3. Have them explain all the details of breaking a lease. Make sure you listen.
4. Don't stretch your budget. You can make any apartment (even small ones) feel cozy. And the extra cash in your pocket may come in handy.
5. Safety is very, very important. When driving through the area look to see if other people your age are around. Is the parking lot well lit? Is it a short walk from your car to your apartment door? These are all important for those nights you come home late.