Pets love to explore their surroundings, which usually includes eating and chewing on non-food items. Here, Animal Behavior College offers tips on keeping your pets safe. Here are three problem areas to watch out for:
1) Food: The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises pet owners to avoid feeding animals avocado, coffee, fatty foods, alcoholic beverages, chocolate, onions and onion powder, mushrooms, raisins, grapes, garlic, moldy or spoiled foods, and products containing the artificial sweetener xylitol. Raw or under cooked poultry can contain Salmonella and that can be very toxic to humans as well as animals. The ingestion of many fruit pits such as those of cherries, peaches, plums and apricots could cause intestinal blockage if ingested.
2) Household and garden products: Products that can be toxic to canines include automobile antifreeze (which can be sweet to the taste), snail bait, moth repellent, mulch made from cocoa bean hulls, paint and paint solvents, dish washing detergent, drain cleaner, cleanser, furniture polish, hair dye and perfume. Pencils, ink and crayons can also be toxic to animals and should be kept out of the reach of animals.
3) Medications: Many people are concerned for the comfort of their pets and may try to help by giving them the same over the counter pain medication that they may take themselves, such as Tylenol or acetaminophen. This product in particular damages the red blood cells of dogs and cats, causing irreversible anemia and possible death. Always consult your Veterinarian before administering any type of medication to your pets.
For more information, visit http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/3/prweb10538543.htm